iplounge.net Forum Index iplounge.net
NFS PU & HS Online Racing Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 8.1 Setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Windows 8.1 Setup Reply with quote

To race Porsche Unleashed on Windows 8 we need to run with a dx wrapper.

Download NGlide

http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide

Then run Regedit
Go to
HKEY_LOCAl_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
if on 64 bit system go to WOW6432Node
Electronic Arts
Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed

Then Change Group to "Glide"
and Thrash Driver to "Voodoo2"

Now set up Nglide Set Screen Resolution to same as your screen.
Set refresh rate same as screen.

Launch NFS PU as admin and set to maximum resolution.

Enjoy

if anyone else has more info please add.

All info found here was given to me in IPLounge. Thanks
Ben

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did notice touch screen in game no longer works with nglide.

Now working with either graphics cards. Forgot to run as Admin.

Corisca with a stock Moby Dick with qualitys all turned up.

Last edited by Ben on Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
[SK]Nath
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the time you've put into making and testing this Ben, its very helpful and much appreciated. A guide for Win8 setup was much needed! Wink
Tuurngait

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the issue on Win8.1? Doesn't the game start or is there any error message, graphic bugs etc.?
Ben

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The in game graphics are very jerky plus it flashes white sections all over the screen without a Dx Wrapper. And as you go around a corner the car body disappears and you see the frame.
Tuurngait

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that it's a general problem and not just depending on your system configuration?
Someone wrote that the game runs fine with only the enhanced patch installed.

What is your hardware? Do you have latest drivers and DirectX 9.0c installed? You need DirectX 9.0c runtimes for all older games.
MadBob

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: DDRaw fix in Windows 8 without using wrapper Reply with quote

HI all -

I have found what may be a simpler fix for frame rate issues when playing the game in Windows 8. The fix was found on the forum below:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=99477

Use jackfuste's post - Solution #2 (quoted below)

"2. Use a modified ddraw.dll

I disabled in ddraw.dll problematic compatibility DisableMaxWindowedMode
The archive contains two dll for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 - Windows_8_8_1_DDRAW_FPS_FIX.zip (mirror link)

Installation: copy ddraw.dll in the game folder.
Note: Fraps does not seem to work with ddraw.dll proxy, use other programs to monitor FPS, such as MSI Afterburner OSD."

Link for the Windows 8 ddraw files is (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26773310/Windows_8_8_1_DDRAW_FPS_FIX.zip). Not sure I have permission to post this link here - moderator can delete this link if not allowed and just use the post and forum mentioned above.

Just copy the ddraw.dll file corresponding to your version of WIndows (8 or 8.1) in the PU installation folder. I have experienced massive frame rate jump using this fix and I hope it will help others on windows 8!

Yours truly - MadBob!

P.S. I am noticing black horizontal lines in menus with this fix, but no problems in races.
Also - for best image quality (level of detail) I assigned compatibility to Windows 8 for Porsche.exe
Tuurngait

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information!
Does this issue also happen when nGlide is used? I think nGlide is still the best and most compatible solution to run NFS PU on modern systems.
[RS]Sjak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great finding Madbob.
I love the simplest solution and also seen from ipl point of view it is best with a simple solution that dosent mess with exe file or give scan error.
I have been thru installing glide and editing registry and its not somthing i would start helping a noob with.
Swapping just 1 file wich dosent affekt scanner is the best and simplest i seen.
Also i hope Tuurngait would look at this solution and hopefully improve it to make it better.
Tuurngait

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A modified exe file is required for everyone to fix the low poly graphics issue. There is no way to skip it.
Scan errors are part of IPL development.

nGlide is the best and most compatible solution working perfectly for WinXP to Win10. And it supports ultra high resolutions up to 8K!

There is no need to improve my solution. No registry edit neccessary. Just install nGlide and the reg file included in my Complete Patch. Everything is fixed then. Enjoy NFS PU in its full glance.

But everyone who don't like nGlide (why ever) can use the dll file for better FPS. But this will only fix FPS and nothing else. nGlide doesn't have FPS problems or DX crashes!

Last edited by Tuurngait on Thu May 07, 2015 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
[SK]Nath
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Martin that nGlide is the way forward. Trying to keep DX compatibility with Windows 8 and beyond will only result in a losing battle. The vast majority of racers have graphics issues rather than FPS issues with DX. Only nGlide will solve both of these.
[RS]Sjak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is about win8 setup and i think that every solution should be welcomed and tryed before dismissing it as a loosing battle.
Tuurngait

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but there's already a perfect solution for every modern OS.
I will stay on nGlide.
MadBob

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all -

I tried nGlide on my end and unfortunately - a lot of resolutions were missing (for example 1920 x 1080 - which is my monitor max resolution, so it's a shame to not be able to run at max) and also only 16 bit color resolutions were present for some reason, no 32 bit. Another thing - I can't run PU in administrator mode, because my controller is not working (nGlide requires pu in admin mode). Also - it might be just personal preference, but having another program open and editing registry is not my thing...

The 1 file solution - allows me all resolutions including 1920 x 1080, with the drawback of having lines in menus. I prefer the dx solution due to the issues I had with nGlide (which is what actually made me look for an alternative) and I hope it is also kept/accepted as an option here on ipl... I agree that low poly issue was only doable via modified exe - and I had that on my pc long before iplounge decided to implement it. I am using ipl's exe now which works really well.

Best wishes.
Tuurngait

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MadBob!

You just don't know how nGlide works. Read this thread for information:
http://www.iplounge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2370

nGlide automatically forces 32-bit colors, no matter what's set in-game! Use the config-tool to set resolution. The in-game resolutions will only affect HUD size!

My complete-patch also includes an updated version of the exe, which fixes the hand stutter bug while changing a gear. I don't know why IPL still haven't updated the files. I sent it to John a long time ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iplounge.net Forum Index -> IPL PU Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: