iplounge.net Forum Index iplounge.net
NFS PU & HS Online Racing Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NFS5 VirtualBox

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FerrariMan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: NFS5 VirtualBox Reply with quote

Hello to all of you that make up the NFS5 community.

The long short: NFS5 works, and posts stats, from within VirtualBox!
Host OS: Arch Linux; Guest OS: WinXP. Gamepads also seem to work fine, provided the USB device is passed to the VM.

(I wish I could share a .vhd or something, but copyright prevents me from sharing a working installation of WinXP.)

The process: Install WinXP. Configure the VM to allow 3D emulation/support. Add USB, too, if you want to use a gamepad. (You must have functional 3D acceleration on the guest OS, but this shouldn't be much of a surprise. I'm using Intel graphics on Linux without a hitch; AMD/nVidia can be trickier, but not impossible, to configure.) Install the game from an ISO or a physical disc. Install IPL and use the fix menu to acquire the 3.5 enhanced patch, EA addon cars, &c. Now here's the only trick to VM support regarding the game itself: install nGlide, like you would to run NFS4. Now, I've mirrored the nGlide NFS5 patch here: nfs5_patch.zip. It tells you to copy the files into your NFS5 directory and run the .reg file. I haven't had any issues with scanning despite a few changes to DLLs.

IPLounge runs more or less flawlessly. I hope to make this thread more informative in the future, but for now it's more of an expository statement that this works with minimal bugs. If anyone else attempts this, please do post your own experience in the thread, and I'd be interested to help if there are any new issues, particularly with different host OSes.

Long rambling about the why, rather than the how:

Code:

Slow as I may be, I enjoy racing with you all, and being able to race online from within a VM has definitely afforded me more opportunities than when I was limited to an older XP laptop.

I understand that the majority of you use Windows, since it's the most common desktop OS, and old games can still be hacked into submission and run with reasonable success. However, for my day-to-day work, I find Linux more suitable. And while that puts me in the minority, it was a long-time goal of mine to successfully run old NFS games within a virtual machine, as I figured they could be "preserved" longer that way. We're up to Windows 10, which still manages to be backward compatible with NFS5, but who knows what will happen as the OS world advances?

It's pretty unusual to play DOS games (i.e., TNFS) natively on Windows these days—people use DOSBox. I believe that successful emulation of XP for a fully-functional NFS5 installation will make the game more future-proof.
Tuurngait

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why this is neccessary? There is no VirtualBox needed to play NFS PU. Except you want to play under non-Windows systems.
The nGlide patch was compiled by me and should be identical with my complete patch you can find here: http://www.iplounge.net/ipl2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2370
FerrariMan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuurngait, thanks for posting the link to that patch. I am surprised I was unaware of it.

It is true that most will not need a VM to run NFS5, but for any Linux or OS X users, it is nice to be able to race online without dual-booting for that explicit purpose. This is basically a proof of concept. The games run quite well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iplounge.net Forum Index -> IPL PU Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: