iplounge.net Forum Index iplounge.net
NFS PU & HS Online Racing Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NVidia driver update fails if Porsche Unleashed installed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcgldr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: NVidia driver update fails if Porsche Unleashed installed Reply with quote

I recently bought a GeForce 780 Ti OC video card, my first NVidia video card. Previously, I was using AMD video cards for the last 14 years (since Porsche Unleashed was released).

At the time I got the GeForce 780 Ti, I did not have Porsche Unleashed installed on my current system. I made a few backups of the Windows XP partition, one of which after doing a full uninstall of AMD drivers. I restore this backup in order to install an NVidia driver for the first time.

If I install Porsche Unleashed after the NVidia driver install, I'm unable to update the NVidia driver, getting NVIDIA Installer failed. If I install Porsche Unleashed before the NVidia driver install, I get the same failure on the initial attempt to install the driver for the first time.

Uninstalling Porsche Unleashed and using guru3d's DDU (display driver uninstaller) in safe mode doesn't solve the problem. To recover from this failure, I'm stuck having to restore that backup of the Win XP partition before installing NVidia driver or Porsche Unleashed.

Some how, Porsche Unleashed is leaving something somewhere in the system, perhaps the registry, even after an uninstall.
Tuurngait

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm sure there is no conflict between NFS PU and nVidia drivers. Seems more to be a system configuration issue. Why you are using old Windows XP with this modern graphics card? I recommend to update to Windows 7 64-bit (fresh installation). Then install this patch:

www.iplounge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2370

At the end you just have to download latest nVidia driver (v355.82) for your system from official nVidia website and install it.

A 780 Ti with WinXP 32-bit doesn't make sense. You want to play even modern games so you should use at least DirectX 11.
[RS]Sjak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since i updated my nvidia driver few months ago my pu has started to stop for -1 sec in midle of race.
Is very annoying because it always chooses to stop in the most critical places like corners.
Tuurngait

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I tested PU on Windows 10 with latest nVidia driver. It works very well.
You really should use the nGlide solution. Old DX versions are probably no longer supported by modern hard-/software. And it looks even better due to higher resolutions.
rcgldr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuurngait wrote:
Why you are using old Windows XP with this modern graphics card?
My system is triple boot, Win XP Pro (32 bit), Win XP Pro X64 (64 bit), and Win 7 Pro (64 bit). Multiple hard drives, multiple partitions (each OS is on a separate hard drive / partition). I choose the 780 Ti as it's one of the last video cards that still has drivers for Win XP, Win XP X64, Win 7, and it's fast. The rest of the components on my system support this triple boot setup (motherboard, sound card, ... ).

Tuurngait wrote:
I'm sure there is no conflict between NFS PU and nVidia drivers.
Read my original post again, the failure is tied to installing Porsche Unleashed. It's possible that installing any game that wasn't installed previously would cause this problem. I haven't tested this yet.

As mentioned, if I start with a clean (no NVidia driver ever installed) restore of the Win XP partition, install the Nvidia driver, then install Porsche Unleashed, the game runs fine. The issue is that trying to update the NVidia driver afterwards fails.

If I don't install Porsche Unleashed, I am able to uninstall iplounge's stock pack and High Stakes, then reinstall High Stake and the stock pack, and I'm able to update the NVidia driver, but that's a game I already had installed.

I never had this problem when I was using ATI/AMD video cards and drivers.

There's also another issue unrelated to Porsche Unleashed. After installing or updating an NVidia driver, there's a start up delay of about 1:45 to 2:00 (minutes) from the time the desktop appears to the time I can run a desktop program (except dos console can be run immediately). Over time, like 1 or 2 days, the delay decreases to about 40 seconds. I then backup the Win XP partition with the reduced delay. I can then update the driver, resulting in the 2 minute delay, but then restore the backup with the shortened delay and the delay returns back to shortened. So some wierd stuff is going on with the driver, but I'm able to work around the issues.

NVidia support is looking into this, but I was wondering if anyone here was already aware of this issue.
Tuurngait

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do't know if a backup is always a good solution. Some driver installations also need registry access and such things. The best way is to save all your personal files and then format your partition and install XP clean. But you should play NFS PU on Windows 7. It's running more stable there. Some of the fixes by the community were made to ensure compatibility with Windows 7 and above.
rcgldr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuurngait wrote:
I do't know if a backup is always a good solution. Some driver installations also need registry access and such things. The best way is to save all your personal files and then format your partition and install XP clean. But you should play NFS PU on Windows 7. It's running more stable there. Some of the fixes by the community were made to ensure compatibility with Windows 7 and above.
The backup is a program I wrote, that copies all files and folders, along with the security info, from a partition to a folder on another hard drive, including stuff like the registry files.

The full sequence is backup / format / restore volume serial number (I downloaded a utility that lets me set the volume serial number) / reboot / restore all folders and files. This works fine for XP / XP X64, but I find some minor issues trying to do this backup / format / restore with the Windows 7 OS partition. A possible issue is that I'm not backing up the security info for System Volume Information, most likely the owner of the partition, which can affect directories that inherit security from the root. I'll probably make a second program to see if that is the issue, and then update my backup program. Windows 7 makes its difficult to backup security info (even when backup / restore privileges are set for a process), which is one reason I keep XP and XP X64.

Currently I'm using image backup for the Windows 7 OS partition, but I can use my backup program for the partition that I have my Windows 7 applications on. The annoying thing about the image backup is that there's no way to verify, no partial restore, and the image restore is very time consuming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iplounge.net Forum Index -> IPL PU Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: