iplounge.net Forum Index iplounge.net
NFS PU & HS Online Racing Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NFS-PU+nGlide+Win7 64bit = :)'s so far!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iplounge.net Forum Index -> IPL PU Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[XR]TriG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: NFS-PU+nGlide+Win7 64bit = :)'s so far! Reply with quote

Hi All,

After reading Ben's post about nGlide here - http://www.iplounge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2243 - I had to test it out under Win7 64bit for myself...

Wow, I'm really happy I did! I've found better graphic image quality under the Voodoo2.dll, then under the dx7z.dll. Also my early testing is giving me hope that I can go back to using no "Sky Fixes". Hope, that is a good thing Smile.

Testing of PU with nGlide. The following settings were used; Martin's HS CPU patch is used, and these minimal ACT fixes (both these ACT fixes are needed for nGlide and Martin's patch).

The Good of nGlide:

1. Image quality in garage and in-game.

nGlide does not change resolution between in race resolution and menu resolution, both are 1280x1024. Hence the AA quality on car in garage is very good Smile. Also I haven't had any odd, intermittent graphic lag with nGlide as I have had with D3D sometimes. No changing of screen resolution in game maybe leads to smoother gaming experience? maybe? Perhaps? Smile

Also note that MSI Afterburner lists the Voodoo2 graphics under nGlide as D3D9. I do not know why, but it is interesting Smile.

There is some odd distortion with D3D when displaying at 1280x1024. I have no explanation for this as the in-game resolution was set for 1280x1024 for both D3D and nGlide. I do know that the nGlide image quality is better also, well at least IMHO Smile.

The Bad of nGlide -

Limited screen resolutions too choose from.

I thought this would be a problem for me, but I'm finding it isn't. Image quality is great at 1280x1024 on my LCD monitor with a native resolution of 2560x1600, plus I'm really liking the larger rear view mirror Smile.

Text isn't very good for me as compared to D3D.

I'd like this to be better, but I can live with it if I get EA's default skies back Smile. No CTD so far with all default EA skies Smile.

I'll be testing this for awhile I think. So I'll update this as my testing goes on.....
[XR]TriG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Update 3/22/14 Reply with quote

Some interesting observations today in Alf's awesome pit. It was a long pit, 3.5 hours, so a lot of good testing was done Smile. Super fun as well Alf, Thank You Smile.

1 - There are very, very few pop up textures when using the Voodoo2z.dll as compared to dx7z.dll. This is only my observation at this point, I'll try and make a movie to show what I'm talking about, but the "draw" distance seems much farther away with the Voodoo2z.dll.

2 - I am using no sky fixes now with this nGlide wrapper, all EA default skies. I've ran at least 40 Alps/Bkw runs now without CTD (crash to desktop) with this nGlide wrapper, which for me is unprecedented. Alps would normally CTD just before exiting town with dx7z.dll every other run with rear view mirror on and default Sky.

3 - One other improvement for me with the Voodoo2z.dll is that when taking a screen shot there is no delay at all Smile. Under the dx7z.dll there is a very slight delay when taking a screen shot for me no matter the screen resolution if I have any AA (antialiasling) applied. Likely a improvement only I'll appreciate Smile hehe
[XR]TriG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a newer Voodoo2z.dll if anyone wants to try it.

I did test it some, it works fine, but Alps still CTD with lens flare on Shocked

I got it here - http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1836&whichpage=2

Good Luck Testing and Racing all Smile
[XR]TriG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a nGlide movie to this thread -

http://www.iplounge.net/ipl2/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9406#9406

Enjoy, was a good duel with Junior Smile
[XR]TriG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nGlide does something unexpected for me and that is whatever resolution PU is set at, the image will be output at whatever resolution nGlide is set to.

The screens are an example of this. In the screens PU is set in-game to the resolution of 1280x1024, but nGlide is outputting this image to 2560x1600 as I have nGlide set at (2560x1600 is my monitors native resolution). One can see by the rear view mirror that PU is set at low resolution (rear view mirror gets smaller as the resolution is increased in-game), but then if one views the screen in full size, or downloads and looks at it's properties, it is clearly a 2560x1600 screen shot. PU will not even display at 2560x1600 in DirX7 without crashing to desktop, the resolution isn't available in 3Dfx/Voodoo/Glide mode, so it could only be the nGlide wrapper doing this.

This is interesting to me, and I like it very much Smile. The image quality is just excellent and I have yet to have any graphics lag. Keep in mind though that I have a good graphics card that can display at 2560x1600 np.

This also explains the odd stretch I noted, but mistakenly placed blame on the D3D renderer, in 1st post of this thread. It is the nGlide wrapper that is stretching the 1280x1024 image to 2560x1600.

No CTD's yet as well with Lens flare turned off and all skies EA default. Smile I really like that as well! Smile. Couple hundred races at least now with "Lens Flare" turned off and no CTDs.

Now with "Lens Flare" turned on both Voodoo2z.dll do CTD with default skies, beware of Lens Flare Twisted Evil
[XR]TriG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another observation about running PU with nGlide.

The lag in the options/controllers screen is greatly improved with nGlide. For me this screen in PU ran at about 10fps under D3D, now it's 30fps under Glide. Not 60fps I know, but 30 feels lag free in that non-racing screen Smile.

Have fun all Smile
Tuurngait

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post. I should try this also!

For the limited resolutions:
Don't set resolution in-game, nGlide has an own option for it. Let it in-game at 640x480 and use the nGlide option to set resolution. There are also options for AA and AF etc.
[RS]OBF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super work Garrett. Thank you so much for all the work. Maybe Martin could post those AA/AF etc settings. Smile
[XR]TriG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

After literally 100's of races at Alps, Zone, Norm, and Auv ( my CTD tracks ) without CTD, I've had 1 CTD at Auv/Bkw 2 days ago and 1 CTD at Norm/Fwd yesterday. argh Sad

Seems odd to me after so many races, but there it is. 2 CTD Sad, grrrrrrrrrr. I've reloaded the game, and will report back...

Garrett
[XR]TriG

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final post for me about nGlide and PU under Win7 64 Bit -

I really like it Smile, but in the end I still had to change the skies at Norm, Auv, Alps and Zone to get PU to stop CTD.

The good -

1 - PU simply looks great under nGlide. Screens and Movies are posted in this thread and other places. The colors are so bright and vivid Smile.

2 - I like how PU renders at a resolution of 1280x1024 under 3Dfx but then nGlide displays PU at 2560x1600 by stretching the original image. Sounds bad I know, but if one were to look at screens in this thread - http://www.iplounge.net/ipl2/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9410#9410 - I think anyone would agree PU looks great in this configuration. Plus PU runs like a hot knife cutting through butter, never any lag. I really like the larger HUD elements this config provides as well, esp the hugh rear view mirror Smile Smile Smile.

The Bad -

1 - I still have to use the sky fix Sad.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iplounge.net Forum Index -> IPL PU Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: