iplounge.net Forum Index iplounge.net
NFS PU & HS Online Racing Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

windows xp support?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
[RS]Razr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: windows xp support? Reply with quote

This is a general question, but it is nonetheless a help question.
As you may or may not know, Microsoft is officially pulling the plug this year (Official EOL date is April 8th, 2014) on Windows XP.
Sadly, many users may not be able to transition to a newer os (for example I cannot due to limited income and pc capabilities) and end of ipl support on xp can be a death sentence for some who enjoy PU and IPL but cannot afford the upgrade. At the same time, continuing support for an EOL windows system poses a severe security risk as the bad guys love to take the next year on an eol system to exploit any vulnerabilities that wont be patched to nail suckers, er, I mean users who cannot transition. So its a lose situation in either case. I would like to know what the plans are regarding windows xp.
Keep in mind that supporting xp means implementing some safety protocols as the viruses for xp are a bit more sophisticated than the ones for win 2k and 98 se. take the "iloveyou" virus. while it has been patched in sp1, it was not possible to implement this virus in win 98/me/2k due to lack of certain resources and limitations, but was easily made in windows xp
[RS]OBF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ed; The questions you pose are intereesting and well thought out. I must be out'a touch a bit, thought Microsoft had XP EOL'd couple years ago. hmmm

It is true Microsoft no longer supports updates for XP and under, but this does not disclude third party developers, such as AV, of producing appplications which run on them. Anti-Virus for example, still is available for Xp and will protect as well as if run on newer OS's.

Users of these OS must be aware they will be unable to access secure sites as these mostly only run on browsers which are unavalable for "lesser" OS's. This is the primary factor that encouraged XP users to upgrade when Microsoft sent notice of EOL several years ago. The notice you site is actually an EOS (end of support) which Microsoft reluctantly implemented when it was flooded with complaints from corporate users.

For those using XP for older games there should be no reason not to continue. The only caveat would be, DO NOT BROWSE INTERNET! There should be no issue with games which use the internet for gameplay. whew
[RS]JMac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is hard to answer, IPL is developed on an XP machine and my copy of Delphi is also for an XP machine. I certainly have no plans to change this, too expensive for me.

As for the external threats I can only react if a threat is found that actually affects us, finding the threats will be up to you guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the following link is the official microsoft documentation regarding this just to clarify that xp has not reached its EOL (yet)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx

I hope this isnt an issue and the post can be edited if it is an issue. i agree that i didnt factor in that av can continue to support old oses but sadly this is limited. 98 was supported lightly only a year after EOL despite it being a wonderful system for a dos based os. 2000 took the cake though and xp came along and took the spotlight shortly after and technology advanced to the point 98 was truly out of date. this isnt entirely true with windows xp as it has been proven time and time again that wile newer os's like vista (fixed versions aka up to date with proper patches and such) and 7 have more hefty features than xp does, most of such can be implimented in xp through third party means usually pulling half the resources that newer os's demand. a good example is the laptop i used to race you guys before before the heatsink failed and it suffered overheating problems that were permanent could run a game called need for speed the run, but ONLY WHILE ON THE XP OS. yet my configuration had almost all the features of windows 7 due to third party apps. (core 2 duo 2.6ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hdd, not your totl pc lol). while on anything newer this pc barely let me enjoy need for speed most wanted (old version). the whole point is that since microsoft has finally gotten to the point its pulling the plug, the support will pretty much die out. as for viruses, there was a big nasty one recently where people were having their log in information from facebook, twitter, windows live, yahoo, etc stolen and it went unnoticed for ages. it spread by the intelligent searching of ports. we open a specific port while playing pu. our firewalls allow such exceptions while running this game. by doing such, we are vurnable to attack. just like this recent attack, some viruses can go unnoticed and silently nail you. with no front line support from microsoft, there will be no ability to prevent such exploits to the os (as there will be no patches) and antivirus can only go so far. as an IT ans due to recent experience, most of the virus removals that i had to remove that had the most damage were due to the limitations of the antivirus programs. the biggest on to watch out for are injected exe's. there has been a recent way to inject a normal harmless exe keeping signatures and somehow checksums intack. the current tools just fail to work around this. how on the checksums i cannot tell you. even i dont understand how you can alter the size of a file and not affect its hash value. its like adding water to a glass and the glass is still empty. but sure enough i have in the feild expierenced such as i compared as part of my training 2 files (calc.exe aka windows calculator) on a clean uninfected system. both hashes were normal and the same. both files ran like normal, only exception was that one infected my system. the threats are getting scarier. because of my normal issue of getting waaaay left field instead of straight to the point, i guess the biggest point im trying to make in this post is that we need to make sure that we have the downloads in a central and guarenteed secure location and if an attack happens, impliment a way for ipl to cut connection if anything other than nfspu or nfshs data passes through. as for delphi, you should be fine migrating the installation to a newer os john. i would have to do more research but in general win 7 or 8 is your best bet if you need to transfer.
[RS]OBF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ed,
If you look closely at the Microsoft site you will notice this notification is directed at Corporate users and applies only to support. Microsoft terminated non corporate support for XP several years ago. The program was only available to companies that paid for it.

As it is true XP has vulnerabilities, for most of us, they pose no or very close to it, concern. If the user does NOT use a browser or any other product to gather information from the Internet, then it is unlikely any malicious software will find it's way into the OS. This also applies to ports. Consider the number of computers active on WAN and the possible IP's available, to discover a vulnerable unit by brute force is... slim. These buggers apply a more sophisticated approach.

Virus and other non useful apps will always be a waiting to cause the general public a pain in.... Software engineers will always be on alert for these (bite my tongue). Unfortunately, some will slip past and remain unnoticed. But, they will be found and dealt with.

The reason a hash can return a valid result when a CRC of the same file does not, is subject to how each does what it do. Shocked CRC is generated on the whole file (each byte is evaluated), hash values are generated on a fixed length of a file. To see more on hash works browse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_function.

Now to the meat of your post. IPL is a well defined application and I see no reason it will be affected by the Microsoft notification. If the ports are openned using an AV application the possiblility of entry by "those apps" is minimul to non-existant.

Again Ed, your post is worth the read. I do have two suggestions. Paragraghs and Sentance Case. I noticed I was getting fatigued after reading for several seconds. What caught my attention was no breakage in the construct of your message. Never gave these two things much thought before, so, I must thank you for this insight. Very Happy I will be keeping close attention to how I post, as supplying ammo to detractors is something I'd prefer to avoid. Razz
[SK]FR2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest reason I don't post more often, my structure is a bit run on OK maybe a bit more than a bit.... Laughing

[SK]FR2
[RS]OBF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Rick, I must have blinders... hehe
mistamontiel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.. and how about 98 ?

I JUST got back with precious NFS2-5 authentic, such beauties. But also wish to run as native as possible UNLESS an XP will manage

I tried Tuurngait's CPU patch that stops NFS5 from forcing no details, like five different times and nothing, extremely irritating

If IPL client and Diabolo's NFS4 Expansion can support 98, XP it seems ideal.. Cool

But with a 98 machine I can't just plug my ethernet cable in and.. welp.. should I look for a XP machine instead with 1.99GHz processor ?
[RS]OBF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mistamontiel nice to see you.

NFS 3-5 should work fine on XP, also, with proper fixes, will be ok on later OS's. NFS 2 I'm not to sure if it will work properly on XP. But, if memory is not totaly gone on vacation, I think it was working for me on XP. Can't say about later OS's. I have yet to find a way to get NFS 1 to work on anything but ME an earlier. Sad

Any machine that has drivers available for XP will work.
[RS]Sjak
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i not sure ipl supports win98
Bo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: WinXP EOL & AV Reply with quote

Two minor clarifications:
1) April 8, 2014 is End if Support (NOT End of Life) by Micro$oft for WinXP, meaning no security patches for XP (& thus I assume no security patches for IE8 (the highest version of IE available for XP)); but
2) Micro$oft recently announced they will continue providing updated signatures for MS Secuity Essentials (their free anti-virus program) for XP until April 2015.
[SK]Nath
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting information for XP users regarding MS Security Essentials, I would recommend that all XP users install this, it has very good protection and uses minimal PC resources.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iplounge.net Forum Index -> IPL Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: